King Henry V
King Henry V
by John Faber Jr, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, circa 1731
10 in. x 6 3/4 in. (254 mm x 173 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
Events of 1731back to top
Current affairsLegal proceedings in British courts are conducted in the English language for the first time.
Art and scienceSculptor Michael Rysbrack creates a monument to Newton in Westminster Abbey.
The influential Gentleman's Magazine is launched on 1 January.
Agriculturalist Jethro Tull publishes his pioneering treatise The New Horse-Houghing Husbandry.
InternationalTreaty of Vienna with Austria is signed by Philip Dormer Stanhope, 1st Earl of Chesterfield on behalf of Britain, marking the collapse of the Anglo-French Alliance (1727-1731) and the beginning of the Anglo-Austrian Alliance.
Trader Robert Jenkins has his ear cut off by Spanish coast guards in Cuba leading to the War of Jenkins' Ear in 1739.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- The artist's porte-crayon
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints