King Henry VI
14 of 39 portraits of King Henry VI
King Henry VI
after Unknown artist
line engraving, late 17th-early 18th century
5 5/8 in. x 4 3/8 in. (143 mm x 112 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VI (1421-1471), Reigned 1422-61 and 1470-71. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Events of 1650back to top
Current affairsExiled Charles, Prince of Wales, holds negotiations in the Netherlands, with the Scottish Parliament to secure an alliance. Despite misgivings on both sides, and pressure from the Scots for Charles to sign the covenants, the treaty of Breda is agreed.
Oliver Cromwell defeats the Scots at the Battle of Dunbar.
Art and sciencePoet and politician, Andrew Marvell, composes his greatest political poem, Horatian Ode upon Cromwell's Return from Ireland. Marvell become Oliver Cromwell's unofficial poet laureate during the Protectorate.
InternationalWilliam, The Prince of Orange, grandson of Charles I, is born assuming the title from the moment of birth. Forty years later, he would become William III of England.
General-at-Sea, Robert Blake is dispatched to Portugal to prevent attacks on Commonwealth merchant shipping from royalist, Prince Rupert, based in Lisbon.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.