Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Sir Ranulph Fiennes
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate film negative, 6 January 1964
Sitterback to top
- Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Bt (1944-), Explorer. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 78 Wigmore Street, London)
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.
Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.
The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.
After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints