King Richard II
King Richard II
by George Vertue, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1732
11 1/4 in. x 8 1/8 in. (286 mm x 206 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1732back to top
Current affairsSecession Church formed in Scotland.
Widespread fraud and abuses in the customs service revealed. Prime Minister Robert Walpole responds with the Excise scheme, under which the tariff on wine and tobacco is to be replaced by an excise tax.
British Hat Act limits manufacturing in the British colonies, forcing colonists to buy imported British-made goods.
Art and scienceFrederick, Prince of Wales attends a fancy-dress ball at Vauxhall Gardens, initiating its supremacy as London's most fashionable meeting place.
William Hogarth produces the first prints of A Harlot's Progress, having completed the painted series the previous year.
The original Covent Garden Theatre Royal (now the Royal Opera House) opens.
InternationalAustrian composer Franz Joseph Haydn is born.
Georgia in the American colonies is granted to a group of British philanthropists, to give debtors a new start in life.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints