Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
by Achille Devéria, printed by François Le Villain, published by Edward Bull, published by Edward Churton, after Christian Friedrich Zincke
hand-coloured lithograph, 1830s
19 1/4 in. x 14 1/8 in. (488 mm x 358 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689-1762), Writer and traveller. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Edward Bull (active circa 1800-1841), Publisher. Artist associated with 27 portraits.
- Edward Churton (1812-1885), Publisher. Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- Achille Devéria (1800-1857), Lithographer. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
- François Le Villain (active 1820s-1830s), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 26 portraits.
- Christian Friedrich Zincke (1684?-1767), Artist. Artist associated with 27 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (26 Holles Street, Cavendish Square, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.