King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
after Unknown artist
line engraving, 17th-18th century
2 7/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (74 mm x 183 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Events of 1601back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex marches on the City but the rebellion fails. He is proclaimed a traitor and executed.
A Spanish fleet lands in Ireland to assist the Catholic rebellion. Lord Mountjoy leads the English army to victory over the Irish and Spanish force at the Battle of Kinsale.
Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury begins secret negotiations with James VI of Scotland to secure a peaceful handover of power after the Queen's death.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Twelfth Night.
The poet and clergyman John Donne begins The Progress of the Soul, an unfinished satire on the soul of the apple eaten by Eve.
The Speaker of the House of Commons Sir Edward Phelips builds Montacute House, Somerset.
Sir James Lancaster leads the first trading venture of the East India Company to acquire spices from Sumatra.
InternationalSpanish Hapsburg forces lay siege of the United Provinces port of Ostend. The town surrenders in 1604 after one of the longest sieges in history and bloodiest battles of the Eighty Years' War, during which the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands fought for independence from Spain.
Tokugawa Ieyasu, ruler of Japan, makes his capital at Yedo (present-day Tokyo).
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Loans to the National Gallery
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints