Anne of Denmark
Anne of Denmark
after Unknown artist
line engraving, after 1619
11 3/4 in. x 8 3/4 in. (297 mm x 222 mm) plate size
Sitterback to top
- Anne of Denmark (1574-1619), Queen of James I. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Anne of Denmark, consort of James VI of Scotland, was a patron of the arts. Of her seven children only three survived to adulthood: Henry, Elizabeth and Charles (later Charles I). This print may have been part of a set of individual prints of the royal family and the two celebratory verses in praising her as a star of heaven where her 'soule has flowne' indicate that this was published after her death.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1619back to top
Current affairsQueen of James I, Anne of Denmark dies at Hampton Court of consumption and dropsy. Her state funeral is comparable to that of Elizabeth I.
The first permanent banqueting house at Whitehall, built for James I, is destroyed by fire. Inigo Jones is immediately commissioned to design a new one.
Art and scienceClergyman, Arthur Hildersham, publishes A Briefe Forme of Examination and The Doctrine of Communicating Worthily in the Lord's Supper. A Puritan divine, Hildersham advocated for regular communion and emphasised the need of assurance in salvation.
InternationalFrederick V, Elector Palatine and his wife, Elizabeth, James I's daughter, are crowned King and Queen of Bohemia.
The first Africans start to arrive in Virginia, North America, as indentured servants. Gradually a shift in their status
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Tudor Miniatures
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30