40 of 428 portraits by Olive Edis
by Olive Edis
bromide print, circa 1904
5 7/8in. x 4in. (148 mm x 100 mm)
Given by (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy), 1948
Artistback to top
- (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy) (1876-1955), Photographer. Artist associated with 428 portraits, Sitter in 18 portraits.
Events of 1904back to top
Current affairsBritain and France sign the Entente Cordiale, an agreement which resolves a number of longstanding colonial disputes (including a Declaration respecting Egypt and Morocco), signalling growing anxiety about the risk of future German aggression. Although not militarily binding, the agreement, negotiated between French foreign minister Théophile Delcassé, and Lord Lansdowne, the British Foreign Secretary, establishes a diplomatic understanding between the two countries.
Art and scienceJ. M. Barrie's Peter Pan is first performed at the Duke of York's Theatre in London. Charting the fantastical adventures of Peter, 'the boy who never grew up', the Darling children and the villainous Captain Hook in Neverland, many adaptations have been made of the story.
The painter Gwen John settles in Paris, where she becomes the lover and model of the sculptor Auguste Rodin, modelling for his sculpture Muse.
InternationalJapan attacks the Russian Navy at Port Arthur, sparking the Russo-Japanese war. Hostility was prompted by the rival imperialist ambitions of the Russian and Japanese empires in Manchuria, North East China, and Korea, considered by Japan to be an essential buffer against colonisation by Western Powers. Japan wins a series of victories against Russia which transforms the balance of power in East Asia, and undermines the Tsar's rule in Russia.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Rebel women
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints