Richard James Lane
5 of 6 portraits of Richard James Lane
Richard James Lane
by Unknown photographer
albumen print, circa 1866
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. (87 mm x 54 mm) image size
Sitterback to top
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1225 portraits.
Events of 1866back to top
Current affairsAfter the failure of Lord Russell's premiership due to party disuniity, the Earl of Derby begins his third, brief, term as Prime Minister.
Dr Thomas Barnardo opens the first of his children's homes in the East End of London to care for children left orphaned by the recent cholera outbreak. The charity, now called Barnado's, is still running, although it has changed its focus from the direct care of children to fostering and adoption.
Art and scienceAlgernon Charles Swinburne causes controversy by publishing his volume of verse, Poems and Ballads, in which he challenges Victorian moral and religious values. The poems were attacked for their anti-Christianity and sensuality.
The botanist Gregor Mendel discovers laws of heredity, after cross-breeding pea-plants, observing how inherited traits are passed on to succeeding generations, laying the foundations for modern genetics.
InternationalThe Peace of Prague is signed following the end of the Austro-Prussian war. Although lenient towards Austria, the loser, Austria's refusal to cede Venetia to Napoleon III, and in turn Italy, resulted in the Hapsburg's permanent exclusion from German affairs. Prussia thus establishes herself as the only major power among the German states.
A Civil Rights Act is passed in the US, guaranteeing the legal rights of freed slaves.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.