The cast of 'Our Boys'
The cast of 'Our Boys'
by Elliott & Fry
albumen carte-de-visite, 1878
2 1/4 in. x 3 7/8 in. (57 mm x 100 mm) image size
acquired F.J. Eberlen, 1978
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Kate Bishop (1847-1923), Actress. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- William Farren (1825-1908), Actor. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Charles Warlhouse Grimston (1847-1900), Actor. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Bessie Hollingshead (died 1915), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- David James (1839-1893), Actor. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Sophie Larkin (1833-1903), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Cicely Richards (later Miln) (died 1933), Actress; wife of W.S Miln. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Thorne (1841-1918), Actor. Sitter associated with 13 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1878back to top
Current affairsThe University of London becomes the first English university to admit women to examination and degree, although women had been allowed to attend classes at the University since 1830.
The former British Prime Minister Lord John Russell dies at Pembroke Lodge, in Surrey.
Art and scienceLibel trial between critic John Ruskin and artist Whistler, provoked after Ruskin's review of Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket accused Whistler of 'flinging a pot of paint in the public's face'. Whistler sued Ruskin, and although Ruskin was found guilty, he only had to pay one farthing in damages; the case bankrupted Whistler.
Frederic Leighton, the renowned painter and sculptor is elected President of the Royal Academy.
InternationalThe Treaty of Berlin is signed following the end of the Turkish-Russo war (1877-8). In a major shake-up of the Balkans, Bulgaria became autonomous, and Serbia, Montenegro, and Romania gained independence and territory, and Bosnia-Herzegovina was assigned to Austria for administration. The British delegation, including Lord Russell and Disraeli, score diplomatic success in limiting Russian influence in the Balkans, continuing to prop up Turkey.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints