by Robert White, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1681
8 7/8 in. x 6 1/4 in. (224 mm x 159 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Events of 1681back to top
Current affairsThird Exclusion Parliament meets in Oxford avoiding disruption in Whig-dominated London. Charles II refuses Exclusionists's proposal that James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, his illegitimate son with Lucy Walter, should succeed to the throne, replacing James, Duke of York.
Prominent Exclusionist, Anthony Ashley-Cooper, is arrested on suspicion of high treason.
Art and scienceNatural philosopher, Samuel Morland is appointed 'Master of Mechanicks' to the king having transformed Windsor Castle's water system.
Architect, Christopher Wren, is commissioned to design the Royal Hospital, Chelsea.
Poet laureate, John Dryden, writes political satire Absalom and Achitophel, focusing upon the trial of Anthony Ashley-Cooper.
InternationalKing of France, Louis XIV, concerned by England's instability over the exclusion crisis, offers Charles II a subsidy, bolstering the king in his dealings with Parliament. In return, England agrees to withdraw from entering an anti-French alliance with Spain; Laurence Hyde, Lord of the Treasury, signs the accord with France.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.