Andrew Comyn Irvine
Andrew Comyn Irvine
by Mrs Albert Broom (Christina Livingston)
half-plate glass negative, 1924?
Artistback to top
- Mrs Albert Broom (Christina Livingston) (1862-1939), Photographer. Artist associated with 94 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1924back to top
Current affairsAfter narrowly winning the general election the previous year, Stanley Baldwin calls a vote of confidence at the opening of the new session of Parliament and is defeated. George V invited James Ramsay Macdonald to form a minority Labour government, making him the first Labour Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEric Liddell wins the gold medal at the Olympic games, breaking the record for running the 400 metres in 47.6 seconds. The distance was not in fact his strongest event, but he refused to run the 100 metres because the heats were held on the Sabbath. His story is told in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire.
InternationalAfter three strokes and several years of illness Lenin dies. Three days later the city of Petrograd is renamed Leningrad in his honour. On coming to power Stalin began the policy of 'socialism in one country' abandoning the traditional hope for international proletarian revolution in order to strengthen Russia internally and independently.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Rebel women
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints