Airy family group
1 portrait of Anna Airy (née Listing)
Airy family group
by William Thomas Morgan & Co
albumen print, circa 1882
8 3/8 in. x 10 7/8 in. (213 mm x 276 mm) image size
Sittersback to top
- Anna Airy (née Listing) (circa 1849-1882), Wife of Wilfrid Airy. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Annot Airy (1843-1924), Artist; daughter of Sir George Biddell Airy. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Emily Josephine Airy (née Miller) (1848-1948), Wife of Osmund Airy. Sitter associated with 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Biddell Airy (1801-1892), Astronomer Royal. Sitter associated with 24 portraits. Identify
- Hubert Airy (1838-1903), Physician and government medical inspector; son of George Biddell Airy. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Osmund Airy (1845-1928), Historian; son of Sir George Biddell Airy. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Susan Cecilia Airy (née Langton) (1837-1924), Wife of Hubert Airy. Sitter associated with 3 portraits. Identify
- Wilfrid Airy (1836-1925), Civil engineer; son of George Biddell Airy. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Edward John Routh (1831-1907), Mathematician. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Hilda Routh (née Airy) (1840-1916), Daughter of Sir George Biddell Airy. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
This photograph by William Thomas Morgan & Co shows Airy as an aged patriarch, surrounded by his family.
Events of 1882back to top
Current affairsThe Ashes Test cricket series is born. The series gets its name from a satirical obituary published in the English newspaper The Sporting Times, stating that English cricket had died and its cremated body was being taken back to Australia, after England, with batsmen W. G. Grace and Charles Studd, lost the first home match to Australia at the Oval.
The Married Women's Property Act is passed, securing equal property rights between married couples.
Art and scienceEadweard Muybridge, British photographer, exhibits his images of animal and human motion, captured with his 'zoopraxiscope', a motion-picture machine recreating movement by displaying individual photographs in rapid succession, at the Royal Academy and Royal Institution. His studies and inventions contributed to the development of motion pictures, with E.J. Marey and the Lumiere brothers acknowledging his impact.
InternationalThe Zioinist movement begins, with the first wave of Jewish immigrants to Palestine, at this time part of the Ottoman empire. The Jewish people were in Diaspora, spread across the world, and Palestine, the place of Jewish origin but now also occupied by Muslims and Christians, seemed a logical place for a settlement.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.