by Olive Edis
platinum print, 1920s
7 5/8in. x 5 7/8in. (195 mm x 148 mm)
Given by (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy), 1948
Sitterback to top
- (James) Ramsay MacDonald (1866-1937), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 67 portraits.
Artistback to top
- (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy) (1876-1955), Photographer. Artist associated with 427 portraits, Sitter in 18 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Frognal Lodge, Hampstead, London)
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.
The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.
George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
InternationalThe Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Rebel women
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews