19 of 120 portraits of Benjamin Britten
by Frank Arthur Swaine
bromide print, circa 1930
6 1/4in. x 4in. (160 mm x 100 mm)
Given by the Britten estate, 1981
Sitterback to top
- (Edward) Benjamin Britten, Baron Britten (1913-1976), Composer. Sitter in 120 portraits, Artist of 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Frank Arthur Swaine (died 1952), Photographer. Artist associated with 35 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Dedicated to his piano teacher Ethel Astle with the inscription 'To Miss Ethel Everlasting gratefully Benjamin Britten'.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Benjamin Britten: A Life in Pictures (5 November 2013 - 30 June 2014)
Events of 1930back to top
Current affairsAmy Johnson is the first woman to fly solo to Australia. She flew the 11,000 miles from Croydon to Darwin in a De Havilland Gipsy Moth named Jason and won the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE for her achievement. She went on to break a number of other flying records, and died while serving in the Air Transport Auxiliary in 1941.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's play, Private Lives is first performed. The original run starred Gertrude Lawrence and Laurence Olivier as well as Coward himself. Private Lives became Coward's most enduringly successful play.
InternationalGandhi leads the Salt March. The march to the coast was a direct protest against the British monopoly on the sale of salt and inspired hordes of Indians to follow him and adopt his methods of Satyagraha (non-violent resistance to the British rule of India).
Stalin orders the 'liquidation of the kulaks (wealthy farmers) as a class' in a violent attempt to centralise control of agriculture and collectivise farming.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Imogen Holst
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Eric Fenby
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Benjamin Britten
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.