by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 12 April 1911
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Herbert George Wells (1866-1946), Novelist and social commentator. Sitter associated with 88 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42740 portraits.
Events of 1911back to top
Current affairsAsquith's Liberal government introduces the Parliament Act to curb the powers of the House of Lords following the clash between the Commons and Lords over the 1909 People's Budget. The Act removed the Lords' power to veto bills, reduced the length of Parliament from seven to five years, and provided for the payment of MPs.
Art and scienceErnest Rutherford discovers the structure of the atom. The New Zealand born physicist working in Manchester showed with his Nuclear Model that electrons orbited a nucleus composed of protons and neutrons. The discovery paved the way for nuclear physics.
InternationalThe Polish Chemist, Marie Curie, becomes the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for her discovery in 1898 of the radioactive element, Radon.
The Mona Lisa is stolen from the Louvre. The masterpiece was missing for two years, during which time suspicion fell on avant-garde poet Guillaume Apollinaire and his friend Pablo Picasso, before Vincenzo Peruggia, an employee of the Louvre, was arrested in Florence.
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Herbert Wells <> Igor Stravinsky
- Only Connect - Herbert Wells <> Thomas Eliot
- Only Connect - installation video
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection