Sir Norman Angell
Sir Norman Angell
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, circa 1913
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Sir (Ralph) Norman Angell (né Ralph Norman Angell Lane) (1872-1967), Peace campaigner and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize; journalist; author; lecturer; Labour politician; MP for Bradford North. Sitter in 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist or producer associated with 42746 portraits.
Events of 1913back to top
Current affairsThe Suffragette, Emily Davison dies after stepping out in front of the King's horse as a protest at the Epsom Derby. In the same year the Liberal government passed the Cat and Mouse Act allowing them to release and re-arrest Suffragettes who went on hunger strike while in prison. Davison, herself, had been on hunger strike and was force-fed while detained at Holloway Prison.
Art and scienceStravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring comes to London following its premier at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris. Audiences were shocked by Stravinsky's rhythmic and dissonant musical score and by the violent jerky dancing of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, which were intended to represent pagan ritual.
InternationalHenry Ford introduces the assembly line at the Ford Motor Company, rapidly increasing the rate at which the famous Model T could be manufactured, leading to massive growth in the motorcar industry and demonstrating to other industries the efficiency of mass production.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Herbert Morrison: The Cockney Socialist
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
- Conscientious Objectors of the First World War
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- LGBTQ+ History Month
- Spotlight: Queen Elizabeth II