8 of 19 portraits by William Artaud
by Benedetto Pastorini, and by Peltro William Tomkins, published by Hannah Macklin (née Kenting), after William Artaud
stipple engraving, published 1803
21 7/8 in. x 15 3/4 in. (557 mm x 383 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Sitter in 16 portraits, Artist associated with 164 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- William Artaud (1763-1823), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 19 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Hannah Macklin (née Kenting) (died 1808), Printer and publisher. Artist associated with 5 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Benedetto Pastorini (circa 1746-1838), Engraver. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Peltro William Tomkins (1759-1840), Engraver and draughtsman. Artist associated with 54 portraits.
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints