George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw
by Madame Yevonde
Vivex colour print on black card mount, 1937
13 1/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (337 mm x 263 mm)
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Sitterback to top
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Playwright. Sitter in 148 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 333 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Born in 1856
- George Bernard Shaw
- NPG 4047 in 360°
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Harriet Cohen
- Only Connect - Harriet Cohen <> George Shaw
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Yousuf Karsh
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Goddesses and Others
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.