George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw
by Madame Yevonde
Vivex colour print on black card mount, 1937
13 1/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (337 mm x 263 mm)
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Sitterback to top
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Playwright. Sitter in 148 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 326 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London.
A new synthetic fabric is invented and named after New York and London: Nylon.
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
- Yousuf Karsh
- Born in 1856
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Harriet Cohen
- Only Connect - Harriet Cohen <> George Shaw
- Only Connect - installation video
- George Bernard Shaw
- NPG 4047 in 360°
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Goddesses and Others
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints