1 portrait of Harold Wilson
by Unknown photographer, for Central Office of Information
bromide print, May 1962
9 1/2 in. x 7 5/8 in. (242 mm x 194 mm) image size
Bequeathed by David Dean, 1976
Sitterback to top
- (James) Harold Wilson, Baron Wilson of Rievaulx (1916-1995), Prime Minister. Sitter in 42 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1962back to top
Current affairsAfter a series of by-election defeats, the prime minister, Harold MacMillan organises a drastic cabinet reshuffle, dismissing one third of his cabinet. Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe's rye comment summed up the desperate action: 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.'
Britain suffers the 'Big Freeze' with no frost-free nights between 22nd December 1962 and 5th March 1963.
Art and scienceThe Beatles have their first hit with Love Me Do and release their first album Please Please Me.
The new Coventry Cathedral is consecrated and creates a showcase for British artistic talent with the first performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, a wall hanging by Graham Sutherland, stained glass by John Piper, and sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Elizabeth Frink.
InternationalThe world comes to the brink of nuclear war with the Cuban Missile Crisis. In response to the USA's nuclear advantage, the USSR sent missiles to Cuba. The crisis lasted for 12 days before a deal was finally stuck between Khrushchev and Kennedy in which the Cuban missile bases were dismantled in return for the secret removal of US missiles from Turkey.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 7 October
- For Valour: Recipients of the Victoria Cross, 1914 - 18
Until 24 June
- Votes for Women: Pioneers
Until 2 December
- Picturing Friendship
From 30 June
- Yousuf Karsh
- Britain 1960-1990
- Artists and sitters
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test