The House of Commons
2 of 3 portraits of Charles Kennedy
The House of Commons
by Unknown photographer
vintage print, 1986-1987
Sittersback to top
- Kenneth Wilfred Baker, Baron Baker of Dorking (1934-), Conservative politician; Home Secretary. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- James Callaghan, Baron Callaghan of Cardiff (1912-2005), Prime Minister. Sitter in 22 portraits. Identify
- David George Clark, Baron Clark of Windermere (1939-), Politician; MP for Colne Valley and South Shields. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Michael Foot (1913-2010), Editor, man of letters and Labour politician; MP for Ebbw Vale and Blaenau Gwent and leader of the Labour Party. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Derek Foster, Baron Foster of Bishop Auckland (1937-2019), Politician; MP for Bishop Auckland, County Durham. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Harry Greenaway (1934-), Politician; Conservative MP for Ealing North. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Roy Sydney George Hattersley, Baron Hattersley (1932-), Politician, author and journalist. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Jeremy Joseph James ('Jerry') Hayes (1953-), Politician and lawyer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Denis Winston Healey, Baron Healey (1917-2015), Labour politician; Secretary of State for Defence and Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 17 portraits. Identify
- Sir Edward Heath (1916-2005), Prime Minister. Sitter in 62 portraits. Identify
- (Richard Edward) Geoffrey Howe, Baron Howe of Aberavon (1926-2015), Politician; Deputy Prime Minister, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Foreign Secretary. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Roy Harris Jenkins, Baron Jenkins of Hillhead (1920-2003), Writer and Labour politician; Home Secretary and co-founder of the Social Democratic Party. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Stephen Barry Jones, Baron Jones (1937-), Politician; Shadow Secretary of State for Wales. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Sir Gerald Bernard Kaufman (1930-2017), Politician and author. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Trevor Michael Thomas Kavanagh (1943-), Political Editor of The Sun. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Charles Peter Kennedy (1959-2015), Politician; Leader of the Liberal Democrats. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Neil Gordon Kinnock (1942-), Labour politician; Vice-President of the European Commission. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Nigel Lawson, Baron Lawson of Blaby (1932-), Chancellor of the Exchequer, 1983-89. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Robert Adam Ross Maclennan, 1st Baron Maclennan of Rogart (1936-2020), Politician; Leader of Social and Liberal Democrats. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Patrick Barnabas Burke Mayhew, Baron Mayhew of Twysden (1929-2016), Barrister and Conservative politician; MP for Tunbridge Wells. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- David Anthony Llewellyn Owen, Baron Owen (1938-), Labour politician; Foreign Secretary and co-founder of the Social Democratic Party. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- John Leslie Prescott, Baron Prescott (1938-), Labour politician; Deputy Prime Minister. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Giles Heneage Radice, Baron Radice (1936-), Politician and life peer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Malcolm Leslie Rifkind (1946-), Politician; Chairman of the Intelligence and Security Committee. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Peter David Shore, Baron Shore of Stepney (1924-2001), Labour politician; Cabinet Minister and MP for Bethnal Green and Stepney. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Dennis Edward Skinner (1932-), Politician; MP for Bolsover. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- John Smith (1938-1994), Politician; leader of the Labour Party. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- David Martin Scott Steel, Baron Steel of Aikwood (1938-), Politician; Leader of the Liberal Party and first Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament. Sitter in 22 portraits. Identify
- Anthony Louis ('Tony') Banks, Baron Stratford (1943-2006), Labour politician; Minister for Sport. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Norman Tebbit, Baron Tebbit (1931-), Politician; Chairman of the Conservative Party. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Peter Temple-Morris, Baron Temple-Morris (1938-2018), Politician; Conservative MP for Leominster. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts), Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven (1925-2013), Prime Minister. Sitter in 54 portraits. Identify
- David Charles Waddington, Baron Waddington (1929-2017), Politician; Leader of the House of Lords and Governor of Bermuda. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- John Wakeham, Baron Wakeham (1932-), Businessman and politician; Leader of the House of Lords. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- (Bruce) Bernard Weatherill, Baron Weatherill (1920-2007), Politician; Speaker of the House of Commons. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (House of Commons, Palace of Westminster, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1986back to top
Current affairsHampton Court Palace is devastated by fire. Much of the third floor and the roof of the building were destroyed, although, thanks to the courage of the fire fighters, only one painting and one piece of furniture were ruined.
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, marries Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey.
Art and sciencePoems on the Underground, the brainchild of American writer Judith Chernaik, is launched by London Underground. A rolling programme of poems is displayed in tube train carriages, bringing contemporary and classic poetry to commuters.
The Independent Newspaper is first published.
Artists, Gilbert and George win the Turner Prize.
InternationalAn explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power station leads to nuclear meltdown in the reactor and causes massive nuclear contamination over Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, western Europe, the UK and Ireland, and even North America. The 2005 Chenobyl Forum attributed 56 direct deaths to the disaster and estimated that 9,000 people may die from some form of cancer as a result of exposure to radiation.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Britain 1960-1990
- Caricatures by Barry Fantoni
- Artists and sitters
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- NPG D48094 in 360°
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Rebel women
- Photographer in Focus: Clay Perry
- Fergus Greer: Photographer in Focus
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.