by Dorothy Wilding
half-plate film negative, 2 April 1954
Given by the photographer's sister, Susan Morton, 1976
Sitterback to top
- Joan Mary Waller Greenwood (1921-1987), Actress. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Dorothy Wilding (1893-1976), Photographer. Artist associated with 2177 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.
Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.
Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- The World's Most Photographed
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The Face of Monarchy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints