© William Hustler and Georgina Hustler / National Portrait Gallery, London
by Dorothy Wilding
cream-toned bromide print on tissue and card mount, mid 1920s
6 in. x 4 1/8 in. (151 mm x 105 mm)
Given by the photographer's sister, Susan Morton, 1976
Sitterback to top
- Dorothy Wilding (1893-1976), Photographer. Sitter in 30 portraits, Artist associated with 2177 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Dorothy Wilding (1893-1976), Photographer. Artist associated with 2177 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x200892: Interior of Dorothy Wilding's last studio and home - bedroom (appears within the portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 662
Events of 1923back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin begins the first of three terms of government as Conservative Prime Minister following the resignation of Andrew Bonar Law.
Art and scienceBolton Wanderers beat West Ham United in the first FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. The Cup Final was held at Wembley every year except during the war until 2000.
InternationalHitler attempts to take power in Germany with the Munich Beer Hall Putsch. On the 8th November Hitler and the SA stormed a meeting of the ruling 'triumvirs' forcing them to support a march on Berlin. The coup, however, failed and Hitler was arrested and sentences to five years in prison.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- The Face of Monarchy
- Learn more
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Self image: making a self-portrait (3)
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.