The Imperial War Cabinet
5 of 27 portraits of Bonar Law
The Imperial War Cabinet
10 x 12 inch glass negative, 25 June 1918
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Leopold Stennett Amery (1873-1955), Politician; Secretary of State for India and writer. Sitter in 29 portraits. Identify
- Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour (1848-1930), Prime Minister and philosopher. Sitter in 138 portraits. Identify
- George Nicoll Barnes (1859-1940), Trade unionist and Labour politician; MP for Glasgow. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Sir Bhupinder Singh, Maharaja of Patiala (1891-1938), Indian ruler. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Laird Borden (1854-1937), Prime Minister of Canada. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Sir (Joseph) Austen Chamberlain (1863-1937), Politician; recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize; son of Joseph Chamberlain. Sitter in 55 portraits. Identify
- Sir Joseph Cook (1860-1947), Prime Minister of Australia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- George Nathaniel Curzon, Marquess Curzon of Kedleston (1859-1925), Politician, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, traveller and viceroy of India. Sitter associated with 34 portraits. Identify
- Maurice Pascal Alers Hankey, 1st Baron Hankey (1877-1963), Civil servant. Sitter in 32 portraits. Identify
- William Morris Hughes (1864-1952), Prime Minister of Australia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sir Henry Charles Miller Lambert (1868-1935), Senior Crown Agent for the Colonies. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Andrew Bonar Law (1858-1923), Prime Minister and businessman. Sitter in 27 portraits. Identify
- David Lloyd George, 1st Earl Lloyd-George (1863-1945), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 134 portraits. Identify
- Walter Hume Long, 1st Viscount Long of Wraxall (1854-1924), Politician; Secretary of State for the Colonies and First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter in 27 portraits. Identify
- William Ferguson Massey (1856-1925), Prime Minister of New Zealand; plenipotentiary at the 1919 Peace Conference. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Satyendra Prasanno Sinha, 1st Baron Sinha of Raipur (1863-1928), Indian statesman. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Jan Christian Smuts (1870-1950), Prime Minister of South Africa, Field Marshal and writer on evolution. Sitter in 41 portraits. Identify
- Lancelot Storr (1874-1944), Lieutenant-Colonel; Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sir Frederick Hugh Sykes (1877-1954), Chief of Air Staff and Governor of Bombay. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sir Joseph George Ward, 1st Bt (1856-1930), Prime Minister of New Zealand and entrepreneur. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Rosslyn Erskine Wemyss, Baron Wester Wemyss (1864-1933), Admiral of the Fleet. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1918back to top
Current affairsDespite the suspension of the Suffrage movement during the war, the Government finally agrees to grant women the right to vote as recognition of their vital role in the war effort. However, The Representation of the People Act only extended the franchise to female householders and university graduates over 30. Equal rights to men were not granted until 1928.
Art and scienceWar Poet, Wilfred Owen, is killed in action just a week before the end of the war. His poems, including Dulce et Decorum Est and Anthem for Doomed Youth, tell of the horror of war in the trenches and the tragic loss of a generation of young men who enthusiastically signed up to fight in a war that became seen as futile rather than glorious.
InternationalBritish representative, Admiral Rosslyn Wemyss, signs the Armistice calling a ceasefire on the 11th November 1918 and ending the war. Germany and Austria loose their empires and become republics. Around the same time a global flu pandemic brakes out - known in England as Spanish Flu - killing 50-100 million people within a year compared to 15 million fatalities from the four years of war.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.