6 of 18525 portraits by Walter Stoneman
by Unknown photographer, copied by Walter Stoneman
half-plate copy glass negative, circa 1907
Transferred from National Photographic Record
Sitterback to top
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 222 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1907back to top
Current affairsRobert Baden Powell, a former lieutenant-general in the British Army, forms the Boy Scout Movement after holding a camp on Brownsea Island for a group of twenty-two boys of mixed social background. Baden Powell was inspired after finding that his 1903 military training manual Aids to Scouting had become a bestseller, and was being used by teachers and youth workers. The Scout movement has become a Worldwide phenomenon, with over 38 million members in 216 countries.
Art and scienceThe poet, author and critic Edmund Gosse publishes his autobiography Father and Son, an account of his relationship with his devout Christian father, the zoologist Phillip Gosse. Edmund's detailing of his loss of faith is a reflection on the Victorian age itself.
Anna Pavlova first dances The Dying Swan, choreographed by Michel Fokine to music by Camille Saint-Saens, at a charity performance.
InternationalAmerica is gripped by a financial crisis as a collapse of trust companies causes panic amongst shareholders.
Aged twenty, the Swiss architect Le Corbusier, one of the most influential figures in twentieth-century architecture, designs his first house at La Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March
- Yousuf Karsh
- Juliet Pannett: Chronicler of her Times
- Sir Winston Churchill
- 2019 Anniversaries
- NPG D48652 in 360°
- 2020 Anniversaries
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Conquering England
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- National Photographic Record
- Howard Carter: The Quest for the Tomb of Tutankhamun
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970