Catherine of Braganza
Catherine of Braganza
published by Thomas Bowles Jr, after Sir Peter Lely
mezzotint, circa 1684
13 3/8 in. x 9 7/8 in. (340 mm x 251 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (next to Chapter, St Pauls Church Yard, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson (8 November 2003 - 12 April 2004)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1684back to top
Current affairsJames, Duke of York's influence grows within Charles II's government; the Admiralty commission is abolished, allowing James to resume his role as lord admiral, in all but name. A new generation of Tories, supporters of James are bestowed with influential roles, including Sir George Jeffreys, recently appointed Lord Chief Justice.
Art and scienceItalian decorative artist, Antonio Verrio, is appointed 'principal Gardiner and Surveyor' to the King.
Author, John Bunyan, publishes the second part of his Pilgrim's Progress.
InternationalLuxembourg surrenders to French forces. Renewed fighting between the French Bourbons and the Spanish Habsburgs had broken out the year before when French troops laid seize to Luxembourg and entered the Spanish Netherlands. Charles II rejects Spanish demands for assistance, determined to remain detached from the conflict.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to recieve information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints