1 portrait of George Orwell
by Felix H. Man
bromide print, 1947
11 1/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (283 mm x 184 mm)
Given by Felix H. Man (Hans Baumann), 1977
Sitterback to top
- George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) (1903-1950), Novelist and critic. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Felix H. Man (Hans Baumann) (1893-1985), Photographer and refugee from Nazi Germany. Artist of 37 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- 100 Writers, p. 104
- Bakewell, Michael, Character Sketches: Fitzrovia: London's Bohemia, 1999, p. 43
- Parris, Matthew, Heroes and Villains: Scarfe at the National Portrait Gallery, 2003 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 30 September 2003 to 4 April 2004), p. 100
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 472
Events of 1947back to top
Current affairsPrincess Elizabeth marries Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. Philip renounced his title of Prince of Greece and Denmark, to become Duke of Edinburgh when he married the heir to the throne.
Art and scienceThe first Edinburgh Festival includes performances by Kathleen Ferrier, Alec Guinness and Margot Fonteyn. The Festival is now a major annual international arts event that takes place over three weeks every August, and includes top class performers in theatre, music and dance as well as lesser-known performers who take part in the parallel 'Fringe Festival'.
InternationalIndia is granted independence from the British Empire and the former British Raj is partitioned into India and Pakistan. After various revolts and several years of civil disobedience led by Gandhi and his Quit India Movement, Britain agrees to disband the Raj and grant independence to India.
Palestine is partitioned into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.