by Hal Hanscombe
modern bromide print, 1955
11 3/8 in. x 15 3/8 in. (290 mm x 392 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Danny Green (1903-1973), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir Alec Guinness (1914-2000), Actor. Sitter associated with 32 portraits.
- Katie Jane Johnson (1879-1957), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Herbert Lom (Herbert Schluderpacheru) (1917-2012), Actor. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Cecil Parker (Cecil Schawbe) (1897-1971), Actor. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Richard Henry ('Peter') Sellers (1925-1980), Actor and photographer. Sitter in 15 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The success of Kind Hearts and Coronets led to a number of further Ealing Comedy roles for Guinness, including The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, and The Ladykillers,. He is seen here (top left), with (back row left to right) Danny Green and Cecil Parker and (front row left to right) Herbert Lom, Katie Johnson and Peter Sellers.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Centenaries and Centenarians (5 February 2000 - 11 August 2000)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1955back to top
Current affairsRobert Anthony Eden becomes prime minister. In May 1955 Winston Churchill resigned due to ill health. His successor proved to be a similarly popular leader, winning an increased majority at the general election that year. Eden's popularity was due to a combination of his long wartime service, good looks and charm.
Art and scienceMary Quant introduces the 'Chelsea Look' with her Bazaar boutique. In the 1960s Quant was a major contributor to 'swinging London' introducing some of the seminal items of 1960s fashion: the miniskirt, hot pants, paint-box make-up and plastic raincoats.
InternationalWest Germany joins NATO, prompting the East European Communist counties to respond by forming the Warsaw Pact. The signatories of the Warsaw Pact pledged to defend each other if any member was attacked. This development was a major event in the Cold War as it firmly established the East and West as opposing military powers.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer