The British Army in Egypt
The British Army in Egypt
by Anthony Cardon, after Philippe Jacques de Loutherbourg
stipple engraving, published 1806
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Sir Ralph Abercromby (1734-1801), General. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Sir David Baird, 1st Bt (1757-1829), General. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Eyre Coote (1759-1823), Army officer and colonial administrator. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- John Hely-Hutchinson, 2nd Earl of Donoughmore (1757-1832), General and politician. Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
- Sir John Doyle, Bt (1756-1834), General. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Edward Finch (1756-1843), General. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- John Hope, 4th Earl of Hopetoun (1765-1823), General. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- John Francis Caradoc (Cradock), 1st Baron Howden (1762-1839), General. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Robert Lawson (1741-1816), Army officer. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- George James Ludlow, 3rd Earl Ludlow (1758-1842), General. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir John Moore (1761-1809), Lieutenant-General; victor of Corunna. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Sir Hildebrand Oakes (1754-1822), Lieutenant-General. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir John Stuart (1761-1815), Lieutenant-General. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
The glories of the 1801 campaign against the French in Egypt are recalled in this engraving of 1806, which was probably sold by subscription. Soldiers are shown building a monument to heroism with portraits of the generals involved in the Egyptian campaign and garlands of laurel, symbolising victory. The likenesses were based on paintings by Philip James de Loutherbourg, well known for his popular contemporary battle scenes. At the very top is General Sir Ralph Abercromby who led the campaign and was mortally wounded in a failed French counter-attack. His successor General John Hely-Hutchinson, who forced the French to evacuate Cairo, is also included.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1806back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt dies in January and his lifelong opponent Charles James Fox dies in September. Pitt is succeeded by William Wyndham, Baron Grenville, who forms the 'Ministry of all the Talents' coalition .
Prince of Wales instigates the 'Delicate Investigation'; a Parliamentary enquiry into claims that his wife Caroline had an illegitimate child.
Art and scienceJohn Constable embarks on a formative tour of the Lakes and makes landscape studies of the Langdale Pikes and Helvellyn.
Turner exhibits his Thames views to acclaim at his own London gallery.
Humphrey Davy discovers the elements potassium and sodium by passing an electrical current through molten compounds.
InternationalSoprano Angelica Catalani arrives from Italy to make her London debut, amazing audiences with her showpiece arias.
Napoleon turns his forces east against Austria, Russia and Prussia and enjoys a wave of French victories.
British attack on Buenos Aires under General William Beresford fails.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.