The United Irish Patriots of 1798
The United Irish Patriots of 1798
published by Selig Lipschitz
coloured lithograph, probably late 19th century
21 1/4 in. x 27 3/8 in. (541 mm x 695 mm) paper size
Sittersback to top
- William Corbet (1779-1842), Irish rebel and French general. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Michael Dwyer (1771-1826), Irish insurgent. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Robert Emmet (1778-1803), Irish nationalist. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Addis Emmet (1764-1827), United Irishman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Lord Edward Fitzgerald (1763-1798), Irish patriot. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- James Hope (1764-1846?), United Irishman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- William Jackson (1737?-1795), Irish revolutionary. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Henry Joy MacCracken (1767-1798), United Irishman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- William James Macneven (Macnevin) (1763-1841), United Irishman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Samuel Neilson (1761-1803), United Irishman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Arthur O'Connor (1763-1852), Irish rebel. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Archibald Hamilton Rowan (1751-1834), Irish nationalist. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Russell (1767-1803), United Irishman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Henry Sheares (1753-1798), United Irishman. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- John Sheares (1766-1798), United Irishman. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- James Napper Tandy (1740-1803), United Irishman. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Matthew Teeling (died 1798), United Irish patriot. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Theobald Wolfe Tone (1763-1798), United Irishman. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
The Society of United Irishmen was founded in Belfast in 1791. Its aim was to unite Irishmen, regardless of religion, in pursuit of political reform. It was initially an open and constitutional society but in the backlash against Radicalism that followed the French Revolution, it was formally suppressed in 1794. This provoked a more militant republicanism which began to ally itself with growing rural unrest. A rebellion erupted in the summer of 1798, timed to coincide with a French invasion on the west coast, but it was unsuccessful. Many of the patriots pictured here, including the Romantic hero Robert Emmett, were found guilty of treason or forced to flee abroad.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (84 Brushfield Street, Bishopsgate, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.