1 portrait of Bunny Arango
by Dorothy Wilding
bromide print, 1 November 1950
10 1/4in. x 8 3/4in. (259 mm x 222 mm)
Given by the photographer's sister, Susan Morton, 1976
Artistback to top
- Dorothy Wilding (1893-1976), Photographer. Artist associated with 2177 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
- The World's Most Photographed
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The Face of Monarchy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints