The Churchill family
1 of 17 portraits of Emma Mary Soames
The Churchill family
vintage bromide print, September 1951
8in. x 9 7/8in. (202 mm x 251 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Vivienne (1889-1982), Photographer, miniaturist, singer; wife of Ernest Entwistle. Artist of 209 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- Arabella Churchill (1949-2007), Festival and charity founder; daughter of Randolph Churchill and June Osborne. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 212 portraits.
- Winston Spencer Churchill (1940-2010), Politician, author and journalist. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Emma Mary Soames (1949-), Journalist; daughter of Baron Soames. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Sir (Arthur) Nicholas Winston Soames (1948-), Politician; MP for Mid Sussex. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Clementine Ogilvy Spencer-Churchill (née Hozier), Baroness Spencer-Churchill (1885-1977), Society beauty and hostess; wife of Sir Winston Churchill; daughter of Sir Henry Montague Hozier. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
Events of 1951back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Party wins the general election and Winston Churchill returns for a second term as prime minister.
Art and scienceOn the centenary of the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Festival of Britain is held as a nationwide celebration of British culture, and as an impetus for post-war regeneration. As well as various art, science and industrial exhibitions and events, a major regeneration project was initiated for the South Bank area of London under the directorship of the architect, Hugh Casson.
InternationalLibya declares its sovereignty from Italian rule, becoming the first independent state to be created by the UN.
At the Treaty of San Francisco, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan, officially ending the Pacific War - the last battleground of the Second World War.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer