by Francis Goodman
film copy negative, 1933
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 361 portraits, Artist associated with 1112 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1390 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Published in the annual, Modern Photography (1934-5). Early in his career, Goodman printed photographs for Beaton and this portrait reveals Beaton's influence through the decorative painted backdrop by the artist John Banting. Beaton sat for Goodman again in 1945 in his home at 8 Pelham Place, London.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Francis Goodman: Back In Focus (22 April 2013 - 3 November 2013)
Events of 1933back to top
Current affairsSir Norman Angell is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Angell was recognised for his book, Europe's Optical Illusion (or The Great Illusion) first published in 1910 and updated in 1933, which argued that war between modern powers was futile as neither the looser or victor would gain economically from it.
Art and scienceBritish Art embraces abstraction with the establishment of 'Unit 1', the first group of British Artists dedicated to producing abstract art. The critic Herbert Read formed the group by bringing together the artists Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and the architect, Wells Coates.
The Duveen Wing extension at the National Portrait Gallery is opened by King George V.
InternationalThe Nazi party comes to power in Germany as part of a coalition government with Hitler as Chancellor. Over the next year, the party consolidated its position through the Enabling Act (allowing them to pass legislation without the support of the coalition), by banning and purging opposition, and by making Hitler Führer in 1934: granting him the combined powers of Chancellor and President.
- The World's Most Photographed
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Britain 1960-1990
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Margery Allingham
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints