Bridgeman family portrait
22 of 367 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Bassano 1949'
Bridgeman family portrait
by Bassano Ltd
quarter-plate glass negative, 2 May 1949
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Mrs Teresa Anne Baring (née Bridgeman) (1937-), Wife of Peter Baring; second daughter of Sir Maurice Richard Bridgeman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Diana Mary Erica (née Wilson), Lady Bridgeman (circa 1912-1979), Wife of Sir Maurice Richard Bridgeman; daughter of Humphrey Minto Wilson. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Caroline Bridgeman (1944-), Third daughter of Sir Maurice Richard Bridgeman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Maurice Richard Bridgeman (1904-1980), Chairman of British Petroleum. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Rachel Diana Bridgeman (1947-), Youngest daughter of Sir Maurice Richard Bridgeman. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Erica Jane Harman (née Bridgeman) (1934-), Wife of Jeremiah Le Roy Harman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Surrey (sitters home, Milhanger, Thursley, Surrey)
Events of 1949back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Republic of Ireland Act in 1948, the Irish Free State becomes the Republic of Ireland and leaves the Commonwealth. The functions previously given to the King were handed to the President of Ireland.
The Second Parliament Act diminishes the power of the House of Lords, reducing their authority to delay bills from two years to one.
Art and scienceGeorge Orwell publishes his dystopian novel, 1984. The book imagines a future where totalitarian governments rule; their power based on continual war abroad, and overwhelming propaganda and surveillance at home. With 'Big Brother' keeping a constant check on the citizens' actions and thoughts, the individual loses the faculties of free will and independent thought.
InternationalThe People's Republic of China is created after the Communist Party wins the Civil War. China became a communist country under Mao Zedong.
Cold War tensions increase as Germany is split into the democratic Federal Republic of Germany in the west (a union of the post-war British, French and American sectors), and the communist German Democratic Republic, in the east.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.