by Dorothy Wilding
chlorobromide print, 12 September 1939
10 1/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (256 mm x 240 mm)
Given by the photographer's sister, Susan Morton, 1976
Artistback to top
- Dorothy Wilding (1893-1976), Photographer. Artist associated with 2177 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Events of 1939back to top
Current affairsBritain goes to war. The German invasion of Poland demonstrated that the policy of appeasement had failed. After refusing to meet Britain's ultimatum to withdraw troops, Britain and France declared war on Germany. The Second World War had begun.
Art and scienceThe Sutton Hoo burial ship is discovered. Apparently following a dream, Mrs Pretty invited the archaeologist Basil Brown to investigate a series of burial mounds on her estate on the banks of the river Deben in Suffolk. The excavation revealed an Anglo-Saxon burial, uncovering the most significant horde of early medieval artefacts found in Britain (now housed at the British Museum).
InternationalThe Second World War begins. Germany's invasion of Poland prompted Britain and France to declare war forming the core of the Allied powers. As part of the Soviet-Nazi Pact, the Soviet Union joined the war on the German side, helping, with Italy, to form the Axis Powers. Poland was soon overpowered and the Baltic Republics and Finland were invaded by the Soviet Union.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- The Face of Monarchy
- Learn more
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Paul Tanqueray: Young in the Twenties
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.