10 of 114 portraits of Aldous Huxley
by Cecil Beaton
vintage bromide print on white card mount, 1936
8 3/8 in. x 6 5/8 in. (212 mm x 168 mm)
Given by Cecil Beaton, 1972
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1105 portraits, Sitter associated with 357 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pepper, Terence, Beaton Portraits, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 February - 31 May 2004), p. 54
- Pepper, Terence, Beaton Portraits, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 February to 31 May 2004), p. 54
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 323
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Creative Connections 2015: Camden Radical Characters (1 July 2015 - 11 October 2015)
- Cecil Beaton Portraits (5 February 2004 - 31 May 2004)
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.
Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- The World's Most Photographed
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Britain 1960-1990
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982