The Tregarne family
The Tregarne family
by Bassano Ltd
quarter-plate glass negative, 17 December 1948
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Elizabeth (née Churchill), Lady Trefgarne, Former wife of 1st Baron Trefgarne. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- David Garro Trefgarne, 2nd Baron Trefgarne (1941-). Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Mary Elizabeth Trefgarne (1946-), Daughter of 1st Baron Trefgarne. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Trevor Garro Trefgarne (1944-), Second son of 1st Baron Trefgarne. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1948back to top
Current affairsPrince Charles is born in Buckingham Palace; he is the first son of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh
The Secretary of State for Health, Aneurin Bevan, introduces the National Health Service. Health services in Britain were now funded from central taxation and free at the point of use for every resident of the country.
Art and scienceThe First Morris Minor car designed by Alec Issigonis and his team (also responsible for the Mini) takes to the road, becoming a popular and classic English design.
F.R. Leavis publishes his influential study of the English novel, The Great Tradition. The book set out Leavis's ideas on the proper relationship between literary form and moral concern.
InternationalThe policy of Apartheid is adopted in South Africa. Apartheid was a set of laws allowing racial segregation and discrimination against the black majority by the white ruling class.
As part of the dispute between Western and Soviet controlled Berlin, the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin, cutting off supplies. Anxious to avoid a conflict, America, Britain and France responded by flying in food and other provisions.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month