by Michael Ward
selenium-toned archival bromide print, 24 August 1967
9 3/8 in. x 13 3/4 in. (237 mm x 350 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Daniel Barenboim (1942-), Pianist, conductor and musical director; husband of Jacqueline du Pré. Sitter in 7 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Michael Ward (1929-2011), Photographer. Artist of 63 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Michael Ward - NPG x15012
- Michael Ward - NPG x88957
- Michael Ward - NPG x76660
- Michael Ward - NPG x 46680
- Michael Ward - NPG x88956
- Michael Ward - NPG x46558
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- Michael Ward - NPG x88842
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Michael Ward - NPG x46674
- Michael Ward - NPG x88647
- Michael Ward - NPG x76661
- Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Michael Ward - Biography
- Sixties Style: Ward, Wharton and Seymour
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.