5 of 17 portraits of Julie Christie
© Michael Ward Archives / National Portrait Gallery, London
by Michael Ward
selenium-toned bromide print, 22 November 1963
13 1/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (336 mm x 247 mm)
Given by the photographer, Michael Ward, 1993
Artistback to top
- Michael Ward (1929-2011), Photographer. Artist of 63 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.
Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.
- Michael Ward - NPG x88956
- Fergus Greer: Photographer in Focus
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Michael Ward - NPG x15012
- Michael Ward - NPG x88957
- Michael Ward - NPG x76660
- Michael Ward - NPG x 46680
- Michael Ward - NPG x46558
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- Michael Ward - NPG x88842
- Michael Ward - NPG x76661
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Michael Ward - NPG x46674
- Michael Ward - NPG x88647
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Sixties Style: Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Michael Ward - Biography