The van Damm family
The van Damm family
cellulose acetate negative, 21 January 1957
6 5/8in. x 4 1/2in. (154 mm x 113 mm)
Given by Lenare, 1977
Sittersback to top
- Betty Lydia Jeanette Angel (née van Damm) (1915-1999), Sister of Sheila van Damm. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Jane Angel (1947-). Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Susan Natalie Angel (1946-2015), Theatrical agent. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Natalie van Damm (née Lyons) (1893-1968). Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Nona van Damm (1919-1999), Sister of Sheila van Damm. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sheila van Damm (1922-1987), Motor-racing driver and theatre manager. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1957back to top
Current affairsHarold Macmillan takes over as Conservative prime minister, manoeuvring Eden out of power after his poor handling of the Suez Crisis the previous year.
The Wolfenden Report recommends that homosexuality should no longer be a criminal offence. It still took ten years, however, before any changes were made to the law on homosexuality with the Sexual Offences Act in 1967.
Art and scienceThe Today Programme is first broadcast on Radio 4. This early morning current affairs programme is known for breaking major stories early, and for its hard-hitting approach and tough interviewing style. Presenters have included: Robert Robinson, Brian Redhead, Libby Purves, Jenni Murray, Sue MacGregor, John Humphrys, Anna Ford and James Naughtie.
InternationalThe Treaty of Rome leads to the formation of the European Economic Community. Officially beginning on 1st January 1958, the EEC established a European Common Market, where goods, services, labour and capital could move freely within the European member countries, and shared policies were agreed for labour, social welfare, agriculture, transport, and foreign trade. The EEC preceded the European Community, and the European Union.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.