Members of the Marlborough House Set
2 of 11 portraits of Gertrude Violet (née Webster-Wedderburn), Lady Savile
© National Portrait Gallery, London
Members of the Marlborough House Set
by David Knights-Whittome, for James Russell & Sons
dry-plate glass negative, 23 November 1904
9 3/4in. x 11 7/8in. (248 mm x 301 mm)
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Evelyn Elizabeth Brinton (née Forbes) (1868-1928), Former wife of William Dodge James, and later wife of John Chaytor Brinton; daughter of Sir Charles John Forbes 4th Bt. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Eliza Caroline Burke (née Roche), Countess Friedrich of Hochberg (1857-1940), Wife of Friedrich Maximilian, Count Hochberg; daughter of 1st Baron Fermoy. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Beatrix Jane (née Craven), Countess Cadogan (1844-1907), Society hostess and philanthropist; first wife of 5th Earl Cadogan; daughter of 2nd Earl of Craven. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- George Henry Cadogan, 5th Earl Cadogan (1840-1915), Politician; MP for Bath. Sitter in 17 portraits. Identify
- George Herbert Hyde Villiers, 6th Earl of Clarendon (1877-1955), Public servant and courtier; Chairman of BBC. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Sir Arthur Davidson (1856-1922), Soldier and Private Secretary to Edward VII. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- William Henry Grenfell, Baron Desborough (1855-1945), Fencer, rower and Liberal politician; MP for Salisbury and Wycombe. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Mary Venetia James (née Cavendish-Bentinck) (1861-1948), Society hostess and racehorse breeder; wife of John Arthur James; daughter of George Augustus Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- William Dodge James (1854-1912), Landowner and traveller. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Alice Frederica Keppel (née Edmonstone) (1868-1947), Wife of George Keppel; mother of Violet Trefusis; mistress of King Edward VII. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Hon. George Keppel (1865-1947), Soldier; third son of 7th Duke of Albemarle. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Consuelo Montagu (née Yznaga), Duchess of Manchester (1853-1909), Socialite; wife of 8th Duke of Manchester; daughter of Antonio Modesto Yznaga del Valle and Ellen Maria Clement. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Aline (née de Rothschild), Lady Sassoon (1865-1909), Daughter of Baron G. de Rothschild; wife of Sir Edward Sassoon, 2nd Bt. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Sir Edward Albert Sassoon, 2nd Bt (1856-1912), Major, businessman and Liberal politician; MP for Hythe. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- John Lumley-Savile, 2nd Baron Savile (1853-1931), Diplomat and sportsman. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Gertrude Violet (née Webster-Wedderburn), Lady Savile (died 1912), Former wife of Horace Augustus Helyar, and later wife of 2nd Baron Savile; daughter of Charles Francis Webster-Wedderburn. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Mary Sneyd (née Ellis) (died 1923), Wife of Ralph Sneyd. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Sir Harry Stonor (1859-1939), Gentleman usher to Queen Victoria, King Edward VII and King George V. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Sir John Hubert Ward (1870-1938), Major, royal courtier and equerry; son of 1st Earl of Dudley. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1904back to top
Current affairsBritain and France sign the Entente Cordiale, an agreement which resolves a number of longstanding colonial disputes (including a Declaration respecting Egypt and Morocco), signalling growing anxiety about the risk of future German aggression. Although not militarily binding, the agreement, negotiated between French foreign minister Théophile Delcassé, and Lord Lansdowne, the British Foreign Secretary, establishes a diplomatic understanding between the two countries.
Art and scienceJ. M. Barrie's Peter Pan is first performed at the Duke of York's Theatre in London. Charting the fantastical adventures of Peter, 'the boy who never grew up', the Darling children and the villainous Captain Hook in Neverland, many adaptations have been made of the story.
The painter Gwen John settles in Paris, where she becomes the lover and model of the sculptor Auguste Rodin, modelling for his sculpture Muse.
InternationalJapan attacks the Russian Navy at Port Arthur, sparking the Russo-Japanese war. Hostility was prompted by the rival imperialist ambitions of the Russian and Japanese empires in Manchuria, North East China, and Korea, considered by Japan to be an essential buffer against colonisation by Western Powers. Japan wins a series of victories against Russia which transforms the balance of power in East Asia, and undermines the Tsar's rule in Russia.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.