by Francis Goodman
2 1/4 inch square film negative, circa 1945
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1390 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, 2 Maresfield Gardens, London)
Events of 1945back to top
Current affairsDespite Churchill's popularity during, and indeed after, the War, Clement Attlee wins a landslide Labour victory in the general election. Labour's success was due to its promise of a better society through the Welfare state, and was demonstrative of the public's desire for a new and better post-War society.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's Brief Encounter is released. The film, based on Coward's play, Still Life, is about the love affair between two married people who meet at a railway station. Conscious of the risk of being caught the couple decide to break off their relationship to protect their marriages.
George Orwell publishes his satirical novel Animal Farm, as an allegorical critique of Soviet Totalitarianism.
InternationalA war on two fronts finally proves too much for Germany as allied forces push from the East and West. On the 30th April Hitler committed suicide and Germany soon surrendered to Soviet troops. Victory in Europe was announced on the 8th May. War in the Pacific continued until America dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, killing 214,000 people, and ending the war with Japan.
- Artists and sitters
- David Hockney Portraits
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- NPG 5199 in 360°
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints