by Lord Snowdon
bromide print, 10 April 1962
15 1/8 in. x 12 1/4 in. (383 mm x 310 mm)
Given by the photographer, Antony Charles Robert Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2000
Artistback to top
- Lord Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 284 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 23
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, London)
Events of 1962back to top
Current affairsAfter a series of by-election defeats, the prime minister, Harold MacMillan organises a drastic cabinet reshuffle, dismissing one third of his cabinet. Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe's rye comment summed up the desperate action: 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.'
Britain suffers the 'Big Freeze' with no frost-free nights between 22nd December 1962 and 5th March 1963.
Art and scienceThe Beatles have their first hit with Love Me Do and release their first album Please Please Me.
The new Coventry Cathedral is consecrated and creates a showcase for British artistic talent with the first performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, a wall hanging by Graham Sutherland, stained glass by John Piper, and sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Elizabeth Frink.
InternationalThe world comes to the brink of nuclear war with the Cuban Missile Crisis. In response to the USA's nuclear advantage, the USSR sent missiles to Cuba. The crisis lasted for 12 days before a deal was finally stuck between Khrushchev and Kennedy in which the Cuban missile bases were dismantled in return for the secret removal of US missiles from Turkey.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Private View
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Britain 1960-1990
- Anthony Buckley
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- My Favourite Portrait by Brian Griffin
- Photographs 1965-2006