Sir Bevil Grenville
13 of 5832 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Stipple engraving'
Sir Bevil Grenville
by Unknown artist
stipple engraving, (1636)
8 1/4 in. x 6 1/8 in. (208 mm x 156 mm) plate size; 17 1/8 in. x 11 3/4 in. (436 mm x 300 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Sir Bevil Grenville (1596-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Cornwall and Launceston. Sitter in 19 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1636back to top
Current affairsThe third daughter of Charles I, Princess Anne, is born. She dies aged three of natural causes at Richmond Palace.
Severe outbreak of the bubonic plague closes London theatres. They remain almost continuously closed until the end of the year.
Art and scienceCanvases by painter, Sir Peter Paul Rubens are installed on the ceiling of the Banqueting House. Commissioned by Charles I, the paintings celebrate the life and wise government of his father, James I.
The favourite portraitist of James I's queen Anne of Denmark, Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger, dies.
InternationalScottish army officer, Alexander Leslie, Earl of Leven, is appointed Swedish Field Marshal in Westphalia, and commands forces in a decisive victory over Imperial-Saxon forces at the Battle of Wittstock.
North America's first college, New College, is founded in Massachusetts; two years later, its name would be changed to Harvard.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 28 June
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 May
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
19 February, 12:30