Sir Thomas Gresham
Sir Thomas Gresham
by Unknown artist
photograph, (circa 1565)
15 1/2 in. x 11 3/8 in. (393 mm x 290 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Gresham (circa 1518-1579), Founder of the Royal Exchange. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1565back to top
Current affairsMary, Queen of Scots marries her second husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.
Sir Henry Sidney is appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland.
Art and scienceThe Royal College of Physicians receives official permission to carry out human dissections.
The first recorded manufacture of lead pencils.
InternationalThe Knights Hospitaller repel the forces of Suleiman I, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire at the siege of Malta. Ottoman advances into Western Europe are halted and the celebrated admiral Turgut Reis is killed.
A Spanish expedition establishes the city of St Augustine in present-day Florida, the first permanent European settlement in North America.
The first Spanish settlement in Philippines is established at Cebu.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30