'Group of Royal Family'
'Group of Royal Family'
by and after John Jabez Edwin Mayall
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, early 1860s
3 1/4 in. x 2 1/4 in. (83 mm x 57 mm) image size
Given by George Cubitt, 1934
Artistback to top
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 507 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), Fourth and youngest son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 61 portraits. Identify
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 209 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits. Identify
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 79 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 112 portraits. Identify
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 159 portraits. Identify
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter associated with 102 portraits. Identify
- Princess Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen (1860-1919), Second wife of Bernhard III, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen; daughter of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 81 portraits. Identify
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Artist, sculptor and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (1840-1901), Consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, King of Prussia; daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 124 portraits. Identify
Related worksback to top
- NPG Ax46716: Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia; Princess Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen (appears within the portrait)
- NPG Ax47004: King Edward VII when Prince of Wales (appears within the portrait)
- NPG x26116: Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (appears within the portrait)
- NPG Ax39784: Queen Victoria (appears within the portrait)
- NPG x15726: Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (appears within the portrait)
Events of 1860back to top
Current affairsAn early feminist movement, The Society for Promoting the Employment of Women is founded by Adelaide Anne Proctor, Emily Faithfull, Helen Blackburn, Bessie Parks, Emily Davies, Barbara Bodichon, and Jessie Boucherett.
The Florence Nightingale Training School for Nurses opens at St Thomas's Hospital, in London, funded from the testimonial fund collected for Nightingale following her war services, and helping to establish nursing as a profession.
Art and scienceWilliam Morris and new wife Jane Burden move into the Red House, near Bexleyheath, Kent. The house, designed by Philip Webb, represents Morris's principle in interior design, that no object should be in a house that is not beautiful.
Ford Madox Brown paints The Last of England, showing a boat of emigrants leaving England under desperate circumstances, inspired by the emigration of the Pre-Raphaelite Thomas Woolner to Australia in 1852.
InternationalItalian unification continues as the Treaty of Turin brings much of Northern Italy under nationalist leader Cavour's control, who cedes Savoy and Nice to France. Garibaldi siezes the opportunity to invade Marsala in Sicily with his army of 1,000 redshirts, proclaiming himself dictator in the name of Victor Emmanuel II.
Republican Abraham Lincoln becomes President of the US, with only 39% of the popular vote.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- The World's Most Photographed
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- 2019 Anniversaries
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.