5 of 33 portraits of John Fisher
after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1584
6 7/8 in. x 5 5/8 in. (175 mm x 142 mm) plate size; 8 1/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (207 mm x 147 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- John Fisher (1469-1535), Bishop of Rochester, cardinal and martyr. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1584back to top
Current affairsExpulsion oft he Spanish ambassador to England for his part in the Throckmorton Plot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth I.
Parliament passes legislation to expel all Jesuits from England.
The explorer Sir Walter Ralegh renews his half-brother Sir Humphrey Gilbert's patent to explore and colonise North America.
Art and scienceSir Walter Mildmay established Emmanuel College, Cambridge, to train Protestant preachers.
InternationalAssassination of William of Orange, leader of the Dutch rebellion against Philip II of Spain. His son, Maurice of Nassau, succeeds him as Prince of Orange and stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, and Utrecht.
Death of François, Duke of Anjou. The Protestant Henry of Navarre becomes heir to the French crown.
Death of Ivan IV (the Terrible), Tsar of Russia. Succeeded by his son Feodor, power lies in the hands of Feodor's brother-in-law, Boris Godunov.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare