by Ida Kar
vintage bromide print, 1954
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (240 mm x 192 mm) overall
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Marie Laurencin (1883-1956), Painter, printmaker and stage designer. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1537 portraits, Sitter in 136 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Kar photographed Laurencin at her home in the Forest of Sénart, near Paris.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Freestone, Clare (appreciation) Wright, Karen (appreciation), Ida Kar Bohemian Photographer, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 March to 19 June 2011), p. 73
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: France (sitter's home, Forest of Sénart, near Paris, France)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer (10 March 2011 - 19 June 2011)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.
Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.
Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
- In Conversation: Bernard Kops
15 February 2018, 19:00
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer