by Lord Snowdon
vintage bromide print, 1972
10 3/4 in. x 10 5/8 in. (273 mm x 270 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Ronald Reuel ('J.R.R.') Tolkien (1892-1973), Anglo-Saxon scholar and writer. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- 100 Writers, p. 119
- Ecclesshare, Julia, Beatrix Potter to Harry Potter: Portraits of Children's Writers, 2002 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 May to 26 August 2002), p. 51
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 618
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Beatrix Potter to Harry Potter: Portraits of Children's Writers (15 May 2002 - 26 August 2002)
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints