1 portrait of Barbara Hepworth
If the sitter is a painter or sculptor: ""© The Lewinski Archive at Chatsworth / Bridgeman Images""; in all other cases: ""© Estate of Jorge Lewinski"".
by J.S. Lewinski
bromide print on card mount, 1968
14 3/4 in. x 11 3/4 in. (375 mm x 299 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Jorge ('J.S.') Lewinski (1921-2008), Photographer. Artist of 103 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Cornwall (at Tate opening, St Ives, Cornwall)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Creative Connections 2015: Camden Radical Characters (1 July 2015 - 11 October 2015)
Events of 1968back to top
Current affairsEnoch Powell delivers his 'Rivers of Blood' speech in Birmingham in opposition to anti-discrimination legislation and immigration from the commonwealth. The speech is usually regarded as racist and blamed for stirring up racial prejudice. Powell was sacked from the shadow cabinet as a result, but received considerable public approval at the time for his views.
Fay Sislin becomes England first black woman police officer.
Art and scienceBeaton Portraits is the first ever photographic exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. Under the directorship of Roy Strong, the exhibition introduced a new, theatrical approach to display, and was so popular that the national press reported on the length of queues to get in and it had to be extended twice.
InternationalCivil unrest escalates in France as student protesters, joined by striking workers, clash with the police. The events came to represent the conflict between the new, liberalised, left-wing generation and the forces of authority and conservatism. French protests were mirrored by others abroad including the Prague Spring in Czechoslovakia, where political liberalisation was achieved for a few months before the country was invaded by the Soviet Union.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect - installation video
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Portrait of the Day: Barbara Hepworth
31 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer